Saturday, January 8, 2011

Making Butter!






When I was a kid we grew up on non-pasturized raw milk. My parents would bring us out to this awesome Amish family and we would always purchase our milk in those big glass gallon jars...that would occasionally be dropped by myself or my other 11 siblings...Hey those glass jugs are HEAVY! Anyway, I digress....The other night Franny called me offering me some raw milk from her cow that had just had a calf and had an excess of milk. I met Franny 2 years ago by chance. Trevor and I had seen her apple trees FULL of apples so we stopped and asked if we could get some. Well she let us and anyone else we knew come by and pick the apples as many as we wanted...We are still eating the applesauce I made from that summer. Anyway, She knows we are Mormon so she offered it to us and anyone else that might want/need it. I was pretty excited because I haven't had raw milk since I left Illinois when I was 18. We got it and it had a good 3 cups of cream on top so I took the cream off and made homemade butter. I have never made butter before but oh my goodness it was sooo easy and sooo yummy! Just whipped the cream for about 20 minutes and then the butter and buttermilk separated and there you have it. The girls loved it on the homemade bread I made and then later that night we topped some bread with butter and jam...all homemade! Yeah, you can start calling me Beverly now!(MY MOM)
I was pretty proud of myself I do have to say!

1 comments:

Christensen family said...

Well you have every right to be proud. You just amaze me every day. I think this year my goal is to be more like you.